Siana Cooper

Hi all!
Another week of rehearsals down and as we get closer to the show, we are also thinking about next year!
We are excited to announce our audition dates to start in September 2018, will take place 29th June, 6th July and 13th July. If you are interested in auditioning please fill in an application form from our website (www.artiststheatreschool.com) and send it over.

This weeks blog comes from one half of the 'Red Peppers' act, Siana Cooper.


SIANA: 

" Hello, my name is Siana Cooper and I play Lily Pepper in the fabulous 'Red Peppers'

This is my second year with ATS and what a challenge it has been in comparison with my first. 

Last year I was gifted with the roles of Ned and the fiery Queen Catherine in 'Nell Gwynn': two extremely contrasting roles that pushed me out of my comfort zone and gave me such an incredible opportunity to show my range as a young actor.

This year, not only are we doing three plays, but 'Red Peppers' in particular has two musical numbers and of course two masterful dance routines that need to be executed perfectly...no pressure!

This will be my first time playing a leading role and I am so grateful to be experiencing this with ATS. I'm not sure how easy it is to find such a dedicated and loving bunch of actors who support and cheer for you every step of the way, constantly reminding you of your talent and strength, but with ATS, this is something so evident from day one.

My on stage hubby in particular, Graeme Sanders, has been a delight to work with and such an inspiring figure that has built the strong foundation of our work and really set the disciplined tone with which we enter every rehearsal.

There is so much expected of us with the singing, dancing and acting, but I would not have it any other way. Amanda knows all the tricks when it comes to capturing an audience and delivering truthful and evocative performances. I am so grateful to be working with her again, and so thankful for the wonderful school and all the amazing people it attracts. 

If that weren't enough, I also get to work with two other fiercely intelligent and admirable women. Our resident choreographer and all-round wonder woman, Julianne White, who choreographed our two dance numbers, and Trish Robertson, our musical director extraordinaire.

When you have such a powerful team working for you, and that's what they are doing, every person involved in ATS, behind the scenes in any capacity, is there to support you and bring out the best in you, you cannot help but feel incredibly special. They are so passionate about the craft, and just want to pass on all their knowledge, you cannot help but rise to the challenge and strive to give them your all.

My biggest challenge with Coward is the diction. The language he uses is so deliberate and precise, that one wrong word or mispronunciation can mess with the rhythm of the line or worse...kill the jokes!  

'Red Peppers'
is such a wonderful tennis match so to speak between George and Lily Pepper. On stage the Peppers dazzle the dance halls but backstage, they bicker like an old married couple, because that is exactly what they are. Recreating such a bond has been an exciting and important journey, although they seem to be at odds most of the time, it is an extreme comfort that allows the pair to be as cutting as they like to each other. 

To anyone thinking of auditioning, just do it, you have nothing to lose and a hell of a lot to gain. ATS really is a family and I feel so special being a part of it. The time we have during rehearsals is invaluable and has helped me to hone my skills in a safe and loving environment. As the year progresses, so does the excitement - there really is never a dull moment at this school, don't even get me started on show week! If you would like to see what all the fuss is about, come down and audition. I dare you! "

- Siana Cooper

ATS' production of 'Tonight at 8.30' directed by Amanda Redman will run from 19th - 21st July at Questors Theatre in Ealing. Tickets will be available very soon.

Join us for our blog next week which will be written by Joshua Battilou.

Follow us on social media to keep up to date with any news (or subscribe to this blog by clicking subscribe in the top corner).  

Twitter - @ATS_Ealing




Comments