AUDITION TIME

Hello lovely readers!
So yet another busy weekend here at ATS. We are well under way with rehearsing with our live band, getting on top of our choreography and singing as well as acting our hearts out. It's going to be an incredible show, visually stunning and great fun!

This week, we had the confirmation of our audition days for next year's adult class. 13th and 14th July. You can apply by filling in an application form via our website www.artiststheatreschool.co.uk .
Following this news, this week's blog comes from Becky Hollands. Becky is a member of the cast of 'Nell Gwynn' and this is Becky's first year with ATS. She writes about her experiences of her first year, and how everyone with all life experiences and all ages can audition.


BECKY:
'So with 4 weeks to go, the pressure and excitement is really starting to build.

When I started this adventure back in September I couldn't have imagined what I was about learn or experiences that would make me grow as an actor and a person. 

Each week, I arrive at Clapham Junction from Salisbury, take the overground, tube and then the bus to get to the studio. It's a long old haul from North Dorset, but the journey allows me to take a deep breath, catch up on lines, listen to the songs and become me again after a busy week of working, teaching and being a mum. Seeing the landscape change from lush green countryside to the London skyline always makes me smile. I love the countryside, but there is something about London, the hustle and bustle, the smells, the people...it is special. 

I am not the average adult student at ATS, most are in their early 20's and are working hard to get a foothold in the industry, auditioning for drama schools, working in coffee shops, bars and shops. I am, however, the other side of 35 and married with 2 children! I have a little girl who is 4 and a boy of 9. I work full time as a Business Manager for the Army, but I also set up my own Performing Arts Academy 2 years ago in the small town where I live. So life in the country is a very busy one! 

I primarily auditioned for ATS as a bit of experience, it had been years since I had auditioned for anything and it was something that I wanted to remember what it was like and then pass that on to my own students with a fresh perspective. I didn't ever expect to be asked to join. 

I was so nervous turning up for the first session, there were a students there that clearly knew each other from previous years, but they were all incredibly welcoming. Over the coming weeks and months and with the help of the incredible guest tutors, I began to relax and absorb all the fantastic advice and slowly felt my confidence begin to return. 

We have been working on the play since January and it has been a very different way of working for me. Amanda's style as a director is exactly as you would expect; disciplined and professional. This play is very much treated as a showcase, a professional production and we are expected to come up to that level. 

When you only have one 4 hour rehearsal a week, it is tough. I only have a very small part and so learning my lines, even though they are in French, hasn't been to bad. But the principals had an enormous amount to learn in a very short space of time, before being told to come off script. That was a shock, well for me anyway! 

We are now well into runs, dancing and singing rehearsals and the excitement is building as we are now trying on our costumes and wigs. Rehearsals are getting longer and the scenes are becoming slicker and funnier as we are finding our characters and really becoming them.

A great experience - would definitely recommend applying. I've had the most amazing time with ATS and learnt so much. Don't miss out on this opportunity. 
See you at the show!!'



Don't want to miss an update from us? Click subscribe in the top right corner of this screen for blog email updates. Or alternatively, FOLLOW US ON:
Twitter - @ats_ealing
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/artiststheatreschool/
Instagram - @artists_theatreschool

The cast of Nell Gwynn
X

Comments