'Our heroine, one Nelly Gwynn, will dedicate a song and dance...'

Now it's a mere four weeks to go until we get into the theatre!!
So with that exciting (and slightly nerve wracking!!) bombshell, this week's blog is an interview with our very own Nell Gwynn, Elysia Showan. Elysia discusses the play, her role, and her advice for future auditionees.


"So how have rehearsals been this year compared with previous years you've done with ATS?"
They have been very intense this year as we have not only the acting to focus on, but also the singing and dancing. It's quite physically exhausting as we do very long rehearsals on Saturday's and there's not any time to just sit down and register what's going on so we've all had to find a lot more stamina this year. But every year is different as you work with different people so there's always a different company dynamic too. It would be boring if everything was always the same!

"How are you finding being the leading lady?"
Well, it's a lot of pressure being the title role, as I have to lead the cast so need to make sure I've got lots of energy to carry the play. But it's really enjoyable. It's a completely new experience for me and is pushing me as an actress, so it's great fun! 

"What are your thoughts on all the singing and dancing in the play?"  
It was very daunting at first especially as I don't consider myself a singer or a dancer. It's totally out of my comfort zone but it's great because it's pushing me and setting me new challenges and is letting me access some of my other skills. The chance to perform with a live band is amazing and they are incredible. I love string music and it sounds beautiful, perfect for the period and really adds to the dynamic and power of the songs. 

"Tell us a bit about Nell's background and her relationship with King Charles II."
So she was born in Hereford. She had a sister, Rose, and a mother who was a brothel madam. Nell and Rose worked as prostitutes in their mother's brothel for some time, but Nell eventually then went on to sell oranges at the theatre, which is where her love of the theatre must have stemmed from. I found out she first performed on stage when she was 15 years old, which I found really interesting and really helped me to get into character with her. I feel like her youth explains a lot of her abruptness and her carefree attitude so that was really useful to know for character purposes.
Nell had a relationship with three different Charles'. The first being Charles Hart, a member of the theatre company she was part of and also a character in our play. The second with Charles Sackville, an Earl of Dorset, and the third being with Charles II. She jokingly called them her Charles I, Charles II and Charles III. Then after the King died, there is very little record of what happened to her after that. Most people believe that she lived in a house left for her by the King and she was still given an allowance, but it's believed that she died of a broken heart two years after his death.

"So do you think Nell and King Charles II loved each other?" 
Oh yeah, well and truly. He had 13 mistresses and Nell was the one who asked for the least. Others asked for titles and huge amounts of money, but Nell simply asked for a £500 allowance for the year (a tiny amount for what he would have been prepared to give her). She did not want any titles despite what was offered to her. He adored her because she didn't use him. As Charles says to her in the play "I love you. And Lord knows why because you’re rude and obstructive and far too frank…you won’t do as I ask and you wont be told – and I’m the King of the bloody country! ...and you're truthful and that means everything".

"Would you advise others to do ATS in the future? And what piece of advice would you give future auditionees?
Yes absolutely. I've been here for 5 years and it's taught me everything I know about acting. Amanda has taught me literally everything, both personally and as an actress...so self discipline, work ethic, everything.
My advice would be to be inventive and creative. Leave your inhibitions at the door and completely let go and go for everything. And WORK HARD. If you're wanting to act, do ATS. No doubt about it.


Don't want to miss an update from us? Click subscribe in the top right corner of this screen for blog email updates. Or alternatively, FOLLOW US ON:
Twitter - @ats_ealing
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/artiststheatreschool/
Instagram - @artists_theatreschool

The cast of Nell Gwynn
X






Comments