Emily Robertson

Hi all! Next week is June which means less than a month until we perform for you!
We also have our pub quiz fundraiser this Thursday (31st) so hopefully see you there! Check out our social media for details.
This weeks blog comes from our youngest member of the cast, Emily Robertson.


EMILY:

" HELLO! My name is Emily Robertson.
I was first introduced to ATS through music, as I was part of the orchestra in last years production 'Nell Gwynn', playing the cello. This is my first (official) year as part of the ATS cast.
In Noel Coward's wonderful 'Tonight at 8.30' I have had the honour of being in two of the three plays we are performing: 'Still Life' and 'Hands Across the Sea'. I will be playing Mildred (Still Life) and Walters (Hands Across the Sea). I have loved playing these exciting female roles: I love the ditsy yet witty nature of Mildred, one of the workers at the station, in contrast with the stern yet controlled character of the housemaid, Walters, for Lady Maureen Gilpin (aka Piggie) and Commander Peter Gilpin. Throughout this process, I feel that I have worked closely with all of the cast but specifically Harry and Olivia who play Albert Godby and Myrtle in 'Still Life' ; both of whom have been a pleasure to act alongside with.  

As I am undergoing my last year of A-Level exams, I was anticipating that juggling both ATS and school work would be a challenge. However, it has been the complete opposite! I have found that ATS has allowed me to engage in something other than school, as well as make the most amazing friends and work with people I truly look up to. ATS has given me motivation and confidence to strive for something I love: acting! 

The rehearsals have been so much fun and I have learnt so much even from the short amount of time that I have been attending the school. Although a lot of work, taking part in this year's play has been nothing other than an absolute joy and I look forward to rehearsals every week to learn more! I have also thoroughly enjoyed being able to work with Amanda. She is someone I honestly look up to, not only as an incredibly successful actress, but as a teacher, whose directions and advice I hold with extreme gratitude and pride. I have found Amanda's style of directing to be very practical and precise - there is no 'beating around the bush' if you will! Not only do I love gaining direction from Amanda but also gaining from other people's directions. Throughout the rehearsal process, the thing that I have most enjoyed is seeing people growing as actors and developing their personal skills. Looking back at the actor I was, I am very proud of the actor I have become and this is all thanks to ATS.  

I would describe my first year of ATS like a roller-coaster, and I am desperately trying to soak every experience up! Like I said previously, it is definitely what I needed during this time in my life, not only academically, but personally. It would be safe to say that Saturday's are officially my favourite day of the week! 

Needless to say, as I am sure you will know from the previous blogs to mine, that acting Noel
Coward does have its challenges. However, I have also found him to be extremely rewarding and satisfying. Before this show, I had not read any of Noel Coward's works and so I was definitely stepping out of my comfort zone. The biggest difficulty I have found is finding the underlying meaning of the lines. Especially for my character of Walters, I have found that the way in which the line is spoken and delivered changes the meaning behind what is being said quite dramatically. However, I have found the experimental process of these two characters gratifying, seeing their development as characters, as I have changed the way I portray them. For Walters, I have loved perfecting my classic English accent with a slight cold tone. Conversely, on the other end of the spectrum, I have loved discovering Mildred's south London-esque accent.  
To anyone who is thinking of joining ATS all I have to say is, (in the words of Nike) "JUST DO IT". ATS has truly allowed me to have a new found confidence as well as make lifelong friends and create unforgettable memories. Joining this school was undeniably one of the best decisions I have made during my 18 years on this planet. So I shall leave you with this: 

"Work hard, do the best you can, don't ever lose faith in yourself and take no notice of what other people say about you" - Noel Coward. 

-Emily Robertson 


ATS' production of 'Tonight at 8.30' directed by Amanda Redman will run from 19th - 21st July at Questors Theatre in Ealing. Tickets will be available soon.

Join us for our blog next week which will be written by Beth Sissons.

Follow us on social media to keep up to date with any news (or subscribe to this blog by clicking subscribe in the top corner).

Twitter - @ATS_Ealing






Comments