Lawrence Ellis

Happy May bank holiday weekend one and all!
We've been busy this week as we started learning our songs for the Noel Coward medley we will be singing at the end of the show. Also, all is underway for our fundraiser on 31st May - check out all the details on our social media pages!

Another student blog for you this week, from Lawrence Ellis.


LAWRENCE:

" What roles are you playing and who do you work with within the cast?

I play Alec Harvey in 'Still Life': a doctor who falls desperately in love with a woman he meets in a train station refreshment room in 1936. He is a charming, charismatic man.
I also play Mr Edwards in 'Red Peppers': a pompous man, blown out with his own importance that runs the theatre where Red Peppers takes place. 
In 'Still Life' I work closely with Emma Duke (Laura) and in 'Red Peppers' I work closely with Graeme Sanders and Siana Cooper (Mr and Mrs Pepper).

How long have you been doing ATS?

Believe it or not this is my fifth show with ATS, which is by no means the longest a student has been with ATS but feels a long time. I think in part because I feel I have grown so much as an actor and a person since starting when I was 18. ATS has helped me gain confidence in my abilities and enabled me to hone and create new skills as an actor. 

How are you finding rehearsals this year?

This year is certainly different to past years; not least because of the fact we are putting on three plays! In the past we have normally done one or two. Having said that, I have very much enjoyed rehearsals this year. There have been some fantastic performances and the atmosphere around all three casts has been one of love and support. Where some troops may have fractured due to the separate casts, I believe this year to be as galvanised as ever.  

How are you finding acting Noel Coward?

A challenge to say the least. Alec is a very complex, multifaceted character that I am still unpicking and trying to inhabit. I have always struggled as an actor with my diction and with Coward there is nowhere to hide. The lines are so expertly crafted and measured that the diction must be perfect to even have a hope of doing them justice.
The phrase 'turning on a sixpence' has been used a lot in rehearsals. The ability to flick from one emotion to another within the same line seems to be something Coward demands a lot in his plays. Although I by no means have to do this the most in the shows, it is a skill I am determined to master.

What would you say to someone wanting to audition for ATS for next year?

Do it! Don't think about it, DO IT! ATS has honestly changed my life. I know it's clichéd but it truly has. I have learnt so much but also made lifelong friends that I will treasure. Some of my best memories are from ATS and the people who are involved in it. "

- Lawrence Ellis 



ATS' production of 'Tonight at 8.30' directed by Amanda Redman will run from 19th - 21st July at Questors Theatre in Ealing. Tickets will be available nearer the time.
Join us for our blog next week which will be written by Suzy Davenport.

Follow us on social media to keep up to date with any news (or subscribe to this blog by clicking subscribe in the top corner).

Twitter - @ATS_Ealing

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/artiststheatreschool/

Instagram - @artists_theatreschool/









Comments