Velvet Brown

Hi everyone!

We're excited to present to you our first student blog of 2019.
Rehearsals are in full swing, and as we head towards April it feels like the show is getting closer and closer!

This week's blog is from second year student, Velvet Brown.


Velvet: 

Hi, I'm Velvet and I'm in 'Gizmo' and 'You, Me and Wii'.

In 'Gizmo', written by Alan Ayckbourn, I play two very contrasting characters. Dr Bernice, my first character, has been part of the GIZMO project for six years. The project itself is the centre of her world and she is extremely passionate about it as well as being a very intelligent individual. Her passion for GIZMO however, does have a tendency to come across as quite intense.
In contrast, in the same play, I also play Tiz who is part of a gang. She is constantly looking for trouble and takes pleasure in seeing people in pain. She has come from a very corrupt and rough upbringing.

As well as this, I play Sheila in 'You, Me and Wii' by Sue Townsend. I'd say she is the head of the house hold; she looks after everyone in the family yet is thick skinned and quite hardened due to the difficulties of living in a council estate. The play, in my opinion, represents the division between classes in the UK and the power of women; both in politics and in every day life.

This is my second year of ATS, and this year I'm finding it very exciting and a huge challenge as I have been given three different parts this year. It's all about balancing the three and making sure you're on top of things. Having Amanda as a director is a great honour. She will be strict with you, and she will challenge you, which is what I love. I'd find it hard working with a director who doesn't challenge me, so for that, I have a lot to thank her for.

I would definitely say my role in 'You, Me and Wii' is a challenge as Sheila would be quite a bit older than me, so it's all about getting the physicality right, without stereotyping. I definitely found last year more of a challenge as it was my first year with ATS, so naturally I felt I had a lot to prove. I also had a lot to learn, as some of my peers had been there for a couple of years. A year later, I feel more confident within myself and feel as an actor/individual, more well rounded.

To anyone wanting to audition for ATS next year, go for it! You have nothing to lose. It was the best decision I ever made. ATS is not like other theatre companies; you work with professionals who actually want to help you and see you progress. You will learn a lot, you will face challenges and it will feel like a rollercoaster, but you have so much support and love around you.

- Velvet Brown


ATS' production of ''Gizmo' and 'Women, Power and Politics' directed by Amanda Redman will run from 18th - 20th July at Questors Theatre in Ealing. Tickets will be available nearer the time.

Join us for our blog next week which will be written by Ashley Ross.

Follow us on social media to keep up to date with any news (or subscribe to this blog by clicking subscribe in the top corner).  

Twitter - @ATS_Ealing





Comments