Cameron Corcoran

Hi all! We hope you all had a lovely Easter break. We had a week off but are back in rehearsals tomorrow afternoon - getting the Summer term started.
As we continue with the blogs and begin the countdown to the show, we hand over to first year student, Cameron Corcoran, who is in two of the four plays this year.

CAMERON: 

Hi to one and all. My name is Cameron and this is my first year at Artists Theatre School, and what a privilege it has been. Even without the rehearsals and showcase in July, it's been such a pleasure getting to know everyone at ATS and to join an ensemble, doing something we are all passionate about. I was over the moon when I found out I got into ATS, I remember being at St John's Yard (my local - represent...!) and I showed the email to my nearest and dearest who were all extremely pleased for me (Just on a side note - if you are in the area, I recommend the Cajun fries the Yard do...!)

Acting is an art form, but it is most importantly about truth. I didn't really know what that meant before I enrolled at ATS, and I didn't really know it until my first rehearsal encounter with Amanda Redman. She is a professional and she is the three Bs: Boss, Business and Brand. As an actor she is phenomenal to watch and take notes from and as a director she is like a brain surgeon; you cannot get away with anything: shortcuts, fakery or anything that is untruthful. Here, we cannot rest on our laurels and we have to find the truth in the scene. This thorough process has opened my eyes to what acting is and even though it is my first year I have learnt more than I ever thought I could and I feel so much more confident in my abilities because of it.

I have been very fortunate to not be typecast as a cantankerous, woman-hating, Neanderthal of a 'The Panel', where I play Maurice. In this play, I vie with co-workers who have been tasked to hire a female for the department. However, Maurice is very keen to hire Susan Vince, who is his ideal woman: "sexy", "fun", "not uptight"- all things he associates with good female qualities...merit does not really come to mind for him! It was very pleasing to be given this role because I have been in a male dominated workplace and it is true to say that when management is hiring, looks can be a significant factor with who's going to be hired. Therefore, with this unjust situation being relatable and pertinent in society, I am glad ATS want to expose the unwarranted maleness in the work environment. I hope I can perform this role sincerely and maybe make a few men look at themselves and consider the way they work in their everyday lives. With ATS performing two other plays from the collection 'Women, Power and Politics: Then and Now', I am sure we will fly the flag for equal gender rights diligently.

The second role I have in this summer's showcase, I have again been fortunate to not be typecast, as the controlling, misogynistic, objectifying ganger, Manny Rice, in Alan Ayckbourn's play "Gizmo". "Gizmo" tells the story of Ben Mason, who has a device fitted in him that makes him mirror the physical moves of the person wearing the GIZMO device. Manny Rice is the Dirty Den, Tommy Shelby, Michael Corleone of his world...or a poor imitation of the three...In all seriousness, I am really motivated with this role, as it's an extremely dynamic role to play: he controls those around him, he takes his time with his subjects and he is an extremely important individual. There is also a lot to Manny Rice that I've been searching to uncover: is his need to control things due to an underlying insecurity of not being abandoned? Does he see himself as something of a protector, recognising crime is inevitable but at least through him it can be controlled and not spilled out on to the sweet and innocent civilians of his parish? These are considerations I have touched the surface on in rehearsal and, with Amanda's help, I hope to have a fully realised picture come the performances, so that when the audience see Manny Rice, they don't see some pale imitation of a myriad of TV gangsters, but an original and conscientious attempt to justify someone's existence in that line of work. It is going to be very difficult, but I have so much faith in ATS that I'm sure they'll find a capability within me to do the role justice.

This process has been a lot of fun, but it mustn't be overlooked how much hard work is involved. The ensemble, Amanda and the other teachers at ATS (like Emily Roberts and Julianne White) put in a lot of time and effort to help us with our roles. They are specific with what they want and they test us. They don't accept our bare minimum or what we may consider our maximum, because they are seasoned in what they do, they know what they're talking about, they're passionate and constructive and they know how to get the most out of us, so although it sometimes takes me to places I feel exposed or uncomfortable or even out of my depth, I have found myself recovering and improving because of it. If I want to improve I have to take the necessary steps which means being open to criticism, new ideas, techniques etc. I believe in doing all I can to improve in my craft and also develop an even greater appreciation for it as an art form. Because of this, Artists Theatre School has put me in such a privileged position, I know just how lucky we are to be given the resources to create theatre and be a part of something truly wonderful.

If you want to improve as an actor, be part of a creative environment that nurtures raw potential and if you have a hunger to be a part of the creative process of storytelling, I cannot recommend ATS enough. It has changed my life immensely and I cannot wait to see where it takes me next. We (the ensemble) go on a journey together and it's something I'm going to look back on when I'm old and grey(er)...and it'll be part of the highlights of my life. Enroll!

- Cameron Corcoran





ATS' production of ''Gizmo' and 'Women, Power and Politics' directed by Amanda Redman will run from 18th - 20th July at Questors Theatre in Ealing. Tickets will be available nearer the time.

Join us for our blog next week which will be written by Graeme Sanders.

Follow us on social media to keep up to date with any news (or subscribe to this blog by clicking subscribe in the top corner).  

Twitter - @ATS_Ealing








Comments