Emily Robertson

Happy Friday everyone! Here is our fourth student blog, this time from Emily Robertson. We will be taking a break from blogging next week as it's the Easter weekend, but join us again in two weeks to see the next student blog. Happy Easter everyone!


EMILY:

Hello everyone. My name is Emily and this is my third year with Artists Theatre School. Having originally joined as part of the orchestra in the production of 'Nell Gwynn', I was over the moon when I was given the opportunity to be part of the cast and was so excited to learn and experience the true art of acting.

This year I have had the honour of being cast in three of the plays we are doing. Two of which are 'Women, Power and Politics: Then and Now'. The play 'The Milliner and the Weaver' by Marie Jones is set in 1914 Belfast under the restraint of Edward Carson's defiance to the Home Rule bill in conflict with the reigning prime minister of England, H.H Asquith, suffragettes and the fast approaching first world war. The play follows unlikely comrades Henrietta from Belfast and Elspeth from Dublin in the fight for suffrage. I have the joy of playing Elspeth, which, through the cleverly detailed scenes of feminist conflict, shows her strength and passion for equality.

The second play that I am involved in from 'Women, Power and Politics: Then and Now' is called 'You, Me and Wii' by Sue Townsend. This play, extremely different from my first role, follows a family of four in a council house within a small Leicestershire town. The play explores the importance of family protection, yet as the story unfolds it leaves us questioning the nature of freedom and the value of having a voice; especially the voices of, at times, unheard women. I play the character of Courtney, a fourteen year old who suffers from PTSD, and confides in her family as well as her 'daughter', McKenzie.

Finally, the third play I am in is 'Gizmo' by Alan Ayckbourn. Although my role in this play is smaller than my other two, it has undoubtedly been one of the most physically challenging. My character, Dart, is part of a gang, whom which it seems one of their favourite activities is to intimidate and pick on those who appear weak. This role definitely is the polar opposite of myself, which proves a challenge as I have to step out of my comfort zone, yet this has also been very rewarding as I am able to explore Dart's nuances as a girl who enjoys being part of a pack.

Within these plays, it has been extremely gratifying to work closely with my fellow actors. In 'The Milliner and the Weaver', I have worked with Emma Duke, who is playing Henrietta Girvan. We recently took a trip to Dublin and Belfast in order to further our understanding of the environment and lives of our characters. For me, the most memorable moment of the trip was visiting the Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin. Whilst exploring around the building, I could not help but think that my character must have stepped foot inside and I truly felt as though my relationship with the character became full circle; taking what I have learnt about her off the page of the script to somewhere physical, a place in which she most likely would have found herself.

Overall, I am thoroughly enjoying rehearsals as I am not only learning a lot from my own notes and mistakes but also the notes from the actors around me. Of course, with bigger roles comes more
responsibility and more notes. However, I have found the process so far so gratifying and exciting. Working with Amanda is always an honour and something I am extremely proud of; like I said last year, there is no 'beating around the bush'. One of the main difficulties I have faced this year is mastering two different accents. In Marie Jones' play, I have had to learn the Dublin accent, something that when I found out I was cast as the role, terrified me. Yet, after experimenting with vowel sounds and certain inflections, I am pleased to say I find the Dublin accent very fun! I may be able to sustain the accent on my own, but one significant challenge is staying confident with the rhythm of it as Emma as the character of Henrietta, has a very strong Belfast accent. Sticking with our own accents is something I can most definitely say both Emma and myself have struggled with! However, working with Simon O'Neill, playing the role of Henrietta's son, Thomas, has helped a lot as he is from Dublin, therefore he is able to critique the accuracy of my accent.  I have also had to learn a Midlands accent for the role of Courtney in 'You, Me and Wii'. However, I have found this accent to be somewhat similar to my own and having a fellow actor who has a Midlands accent is very helpful for all of us trying to master it!

For anyone who is considering auditioning for ATS, I would wholeheartedly say, go for it! The people with whom I share one of my greatest passions in life have become family: something which truly makes ATS unique. With the direction and nurture of Amanda, acting has proven to me to be one of the most exquisite art forms, and I have the school and everyone in it to thank for that.

- Emily Robertson

ATS' production of ''Gizmo' and 'Women, Power and Politics' directed by Amanda Redman will run from 18th - 20th July at Questors Theatre in Ealing. Tickets will be available nearer the time.

Join us for our blog in two weeks (after Easter) which will be written by Cameron Corcoran.

Follow us on social media to keep up to date with any news (or subscribe to this blog by clicking subscribe in the top corner).  

Twitter - @ATS_Ealing







Comments

  1. Keep up the good work I will be following more updates and I will come and see you perform in july

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment