Simon O'Neill

Hi all. As we head into June, our show grows ever closer. Keep an eye on here and our social media pages for ticket details, hopefully coming within the next few weeks.

Here's yet another student blog for you, from first year student, Simon O'Neill.


SIMON: 

Hi everyone, my name is Simon and this is my first year at Artists Theatre School. I chose this school for one reason: that I would finally be told what I was doing wrong and not have my faults and bad habits avoided or sugar coated. 

I have personally found this school one of the most challenging yet inspiring courses I have ever done. My biggest challenge this year has been diction. I'm originally from Ireland and don't generally notice the words where I lack clarity or mispronounce. This has been a long road for me and I still have further to go. 

I play Thomas Girvan in 'The Milliner and the Weaver'. Thomas is a young, Belfast male getting ready for the civil war. This play has been one of the most difficult, yet inspiring pieces I have ever done thanks to Emily and Emma; the two ladies in the play, and of course the director, Amanda. Without their passion, energy and charisma, I would not be able to reach the level that I have. 

I also play Jason in 'The Panel'. Working with my fellow male cast members in this play has been quite an eye opener for me as an actor. This cast has been like a second family to me, as we meet up every week outside of rehearsals and they are all willing to help, willing to tackle each others challenges and strive to hit our goals. They, and the rest of the students, are without a doubt, prime examples of why Amanda is a fabulous teacher of the arts.

Last but not least for me is 'Gizmo' by Alan Ayckbourn. I play Deezer, a violent thug who is part of a gang. My main struggle with this character is to be more of an alpha male type. If you've met me, you would know that I am far from alpha male!! I cried at a Taylor Swift concert... 

If I had to sum up ATS in two words, it would be "worth it". It has taken me over three years to find a decent theatre school with a mentor who will say it like it is and to meet wonderful actors who are not just looking out for themselves, but looking out for the entire rest of the cast and production as a whole. 

Artists Theatre school is WORTH IT! 

- Simon O'Neill 



ATS' production of ''Gizmo' and 'Women, Power and Politics' directed by Amanda Redman will run from 18th - 20th July at Questors Theatre in Ealing. Tickets will be available nearer the time.

Join us for our blog next week which will be written by Maximus Polling.

Follow us on social media to keep up to date with any news (or subscribe to this blog by clicking subscribe in the top corner).  

Twitter - @ATS_Ealing




Comments