Andrew D'Alton

Hi all -

We are back with another student blog.This week from Andrew D'Alton who appears in two out of the three plays in this year's production.


ANDREW: 

" Hey, my name is Andrew D'Alton. I've been at ATS since September 2017.

When given our castings in December, I was surprised to learn that I would be playing two characters across the three plays. I remember immediate shock (in a pleasant way) but also exhilaration. As a young actor, I constantly feel the urge to challenge and push myself in any way possible to get the most out of my work. In the past (outside of ATS) this has included a one man show, drag, plus many other challenges, all of which I consider great personal achievements. So, this show presented another great opportunity, in a theatrical style I'm not familiar with.


The characters I shall be playing are Stanley in 'Still Life' and Mr Burnham in 'Hands Across the Sea'. Two very different people. Stanley is a cheeky young man working for a café in a station, who would much prefer to flirt with fellow employee, Beryl, rather than take his job seriously (pictured right).
Mr Burnham is a social ignorant, attempting to deliver blueprints for a Royal Navy Commander who gleefully watches disaster unfold. My favourite part about these roles is that I get to interact with a wide range of the cast across the plays, all of whom I deeply admire. In particular, I work a great deal with Beth Sissons (Beryl - 'Still Life'), Olivia Sawbridge (Myrtle - 'Still Life') and Harry Durcan (Albert - 'Still Life')....just some of the eccentric individuals that make Saturday's my favourite day of the week.

When it comes to rehearsals days, the focus in the room is paramount. I don't think I've ever experienced a more demanding and challenging process, than this one. Amanda's love for ATS is unlike anything I've ever seen, completely ferocious and unmatched in every sense of the word. I don't think I've met a more inspiring individual who sets a first-rate example for her students and such high standards. There's so much I've learnt from her in the few months that we've worked together. I feel like a saturated sponge sometimes, finding it almost impossible to take on any more information. It is clear that her love for the school is contagious, which can seen from the everlasting support from Freda along with countless other remarkable people.

One of the things I cherish about ATS is the ability to watch the development of my fellow actors, in and outside the classroom. Seeing these extraordinary people progress in such a way is a wonderful encouragement for myself to be braver in my life and to work as hard as I can. I think that is one of the elements I most value about ATS, is the incredible commitment and support for one another, to not let each other down and this never-ending feeling that you belong to a family.

This support is wonderful when challenging Coward. My struggle has always been with diction. As someone who lacked confidence in their teenage years, the value for my voice was shunted and is an aspect I've been working very hard to restore ever since. Amanda has been wonderful and incredibly patient with me throughout the process as I've tried to overcome this obstacle. On that point, I have found Coward a true test of my abilities. One of the challenges of it is it's comedy. As it was targeted for a mid twentieth century audience, our responsibility is to deliver a performance to a modern audience that they can relate to and enjoy, and a lot of that comes down to the delivery of the language and the emphasis on particular phrases/references. Once achieved, the performances are going to be a great success, which is what I'm most looking forward to.

In the few months I've been here, ATS has changed my life in so many ways and now I am part of the school, I feel I'd be lost without it and the wonderful people who have graced my life and brought me so much joy. I don't think I can put into words how truly special this place is. I can only urge with all my heart and every inch of my being that anyone who wishes to grow as an actor, as a person, or to be part of something bigger than themselves, to audition for ATS. It gifted me the fulfilment I've been searching for, something I will never be able to repay, but I hope that I can one day gift someone else the finest education it has bestowed upon myself and countless others. "

- Andrew D'Alton 


 ATS' production of 'Tonight at 8.30' directed by Amanda Redman will run from 19th - 21st July at Questors Theatre in Ealing. Tickets will be available nearer the time.
Join us for our blog next week which will be written by Olivia Sawbridge.

Follow us on social media to keep up to date (or subscribe to this blog by clicking subscribe in the top corner)

Twitter - @ats_ealing
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/artiststheatreschool/
Instagram - @artists_theatreschool
Website - https://www.artiststheatreschool.com/

Comments