Lawrence Ellis

Hi everyone! Great news - tickets are now on sale! You can buy them by clicking here .
But get them fast before they sell out - when they're gone, they're gone :-)

This week's penultimate blog comes from Lawrence Ellis who is in his sixth year with ATS.


LAWRENCE: 

Hi! My name is Lawrence and I will be playing three characters in the forthcoming shows. Two in "Gizmo" by Alan Ayckbourn and one in "The Panel" by Zinnie Harris. My first character in "Gizmo" is Dr David Best, a neurologist and the creator of the GIZMO device. He is quite a nervous character who can sometimes lack empathy, however, he is completely driven and enthralled by his new creation and the impact he believes it will have on the medical world. The second character I am
playing is called Keith; a witless lackey of the local Mafia boss, Manny Rice. Although he may not seem the most approachable person, I have found he has a strange 'lovability' to him. My final character is Chris, the chairman of "The Panel". Chris is frustrated; he would like to select a candidate to employ so he can go home. However, he is constantly denied this, as every time everyone appears to agree, someone in fact has another problem. He acts as a peace maker at times and tries to keep his colleagues on track, but this is not always possible.   

Rehearsals this year have been amazing. I have enjoyed getting to grips with the two very different plays. A lot of the rehearsals this year have focused around "Gizmo" due to the very precise and physical demands as well as the tight choreography. The GIZMO device allows the subject to mimic the movements of another who is wearing the second half of the GIZMO package, which looks like an oversized watch. Obviously this means that we have had to look at every detail of the movements made by the wearer in order to copy them exactly - not an easy task at all! However, as always, the wonderful Julianne has been there to guide our every step (literally) and of course, our fabulous director, Amanda, who has an eye for detail like no other, making sure the illusion is always sustained.

In contrast, "The Panel" offers a very different challenge, primarily as we are sat down for most of it! "The Panel" is one of my favourite shows I have been a part of at ATS and also one of the most challenging. It has everything I like in a play because it's quick, funny, different and interesting. I love it because it is very much an ensemble piece, it truly is all for one and one for all. This, in my mind, is the show's greatest strength, but also it's biggest challenge. The script is very fast paced with characters jumping in on top of each other and cutting across each other left, right and centre. This means that we, as the cast, have to be so on top of the words and cues that we can fly with it. It was the first thing that we had to focus on - learning it better than the back of our own hands, and not to mention quickly! Only after the words were mastered could the real work begin. I have really enjoyed working with the other gents in this cast; every rehearsal has been full of laughs but we have also helped one another to overcome challenges and tough notes. The camaraderie of the group as a whole this year has been stronger than I have ever seen at ATS.

This is now my sixth year at ATS and I have loved every single one. I can honestly say it doesn't get any easier however, as Amanda and her team are always looking for new ways to stretch you. I cannot thank ATS enough for everything it has done for me. I have made lifelong friends and learnt so much.

Anyone thinking of auditioning...DO IT! It is one of the best things that I ever did and it has truly changed my life. However, anyone looking to join must be prepared to work hard!

- Lawrence Ellis 

ATS' production of ''Gizmo' and 'Women, Power and Politics' directed by Amanda Redman will run from 18th - 20th July at Questors Theatre in Ealing. Tickets are available NOW - http://www.questors.org.uk/event.aspx?id=795 

Join us for our blog next week which will be written by Dominic Rogan.

Follow us on social media to keep up to date with any news (or subscribe to this blog by clicking subscribe in the top corner).  

Twitter - @ATS_Ealing




Comments