Maximus Polling

Hello all. Six weeks to go!! We will let you know when tickets go on sale (hopefully soon!!)
This week's blog comes from first year student, Maximus Polling who is playing our leading man in "Gizmo".


MAXIMUS:

Hello everyone! My name is Maximus Polling and this is my first year at ATS. I have been cast in one of the four plays being performed this year. I am playing Ben Mason in "Gizmo". Ben is a cocktail barman who has experienced severe psychological trauma resulting in him becoming paralysed.

ATS has been like nothing I have experienced before, it's hard work and a lot of fun. The level of hard work and detail everyone puts into everything they do drives me to push myself harder and further than I ever have. I have faced so many new challenges whilst training here, learning to overcome them hasn't been at all easy but it has been worth it.

Ben Mason; the part I play in "Gizmo" is a difficult character to sum up easily. He's used to getting his way and doing what he wants, when he wants. However, after becoming paralysed from the
shoulders down, he is now incapable of that. Ben is unable to move unless someone moves him using the GIZMO watch that is connected to a microchip planted in his brain - a brilliant and unique concept created by Alan Ayckbourn. This has resulted in a sarcastic, unwilling and (at times) manipulative person.

I have spent a lot of time researching and watching videos and talks on rehabilitation for people who have become eye witnesses of acts of terrorism or extreme violence. Recently, I read the eye witness accounts of the London Bridge terror attacks. These have been both extremely chilling and tough to listen to and read, but have helped tremendously to portray and do justice to Ben and the trauma he has been through.

This role is incredibly physically challenging as Ben can only move when someone moves him (using the watch and microchip mentioned previously). I have never encountered a role like this before: not being able to move unless someone else does so and not being able to use your body freely. This created an obstacle when trying to create a character that's real. A question I have often asked myself is how do I show an emotion that is so contrasting from what is physically happening. For example, when Ben is recalling and reliving the trauma he went through, Ted, his nurse who is wearing the watch at the time, is very relaxed and calm and smoking a cigarette, which I have to replicate. In order to achieve this, it has required hours upon hours of practice, narrowing down the movements to be precise and in unison. Working tirelessly between myself and Lawrence, Suzy, Graeme, Josh and Emma (who's characters all wear the watch at one point or another) in order to adopt their physicality and movements as if they were my own and as if they are second nature so that I can focus on the motivations and emotions Ben got through in this brilliant play.

Of course, none of this would be possible without the incredible (and extremely patient) direction of Amanda Redman. The level of detail and precision that Amanda has worked on with us has been a step way out of my comfort zone and I am thrilled by that. I'm sure I have driven Amanda/Julianne/Emily to near insanity at times as I have attempted to try and learn how to portray this character accurately while getting the movements at the right time and place. Again, their patience has helped create a comfortable and safe place for me to learn these things and I am eternally grateful to all of them for that.

If you are considering auditioning for ATS, I couldn't recommend it highly enough! The things I have learnt from Amanda, Julianne, Emily and the visiting teachers in even just one year have been more than I have ever learnt in my life! I'm honoured to be a part of this school and everything it has to offer, so what are you waiting for?! You cannot imagine the things you will learn. I know I couldn't and I can't wait to see what I learn next!

- Maximus Polling

ATS' production of ''Gizmo' and 'Women, Power and Politics' directed by Amanda Redman will run from 18th - 20th July at Questors Theatre in Ealing. Tickets will be available nearer the time.

Join us for our blog next week which will be written by Siana Cooper.

Follow us on social media to keep up to date with any news (or subscribe to this blog by clicking subscribe in the top corner).  

Twitter - @ATS_Ealing






Comments